Friday, March 04, 2005

Papal precautions against McCain-Feingold

It appears as if the McCain-Feingold Amendment may have ramifications into the blogosphere. Basically, the deal is that supporting a candidate for publicly held office via a Blog might be considered an in-kind contribution to their campaign, and if this contribution is valued at greater than $2,000(the limit for personal donations) it is a felony.

Now, as this site is neither politically right nor left (unless you consider a visceral hatred of Jimmy Carter a political leaning - personally I look at it as just being a good American: I love apple pie and baseball, I despise Jimmy Carter), you'd think I'd have nothing to worry about. The thing is, it is unclear what, if any effect this might have on a campaign and election held under Cannon Law. Given McCain's status as a media darling, though, I don't think the College of Cardinals is going to want to do anything to upset him, so I think we should be cautious and assume that McCain-Feingold will apply to the next Papal election.

As a staunch opponent of free speech, you'd think I'd be in favor of enforcing McCain-Feingold everywhere possible, even in Pontifical campaigns (Yes, I said opponent. If you're wondering how anyone could possibly be against free speech think about this: It is almost entirely the fault of the First Amendment that we, as a nation, have been forced to suffer through the pain and embarrassment that is Gary Shandling). The problem is, I have this site, clearly valued and labeled (see sidebar) at $3,450 worth of in-kind political contributions, and I don't want to commit a felony, at least not one as lame as over-donating to a political campaign*.

So, what to do?

I think I have an answer, as there appears to be a loophole: While I can't pretend that this site does not support a particular Papal candidate, what I can do is endorse another candidate for another office, thereby splitting the $3,450 in two and keeping this site nice and legal. So, I hereby endorse Bubba Crosby as the Yankees 4th outfield and allocate $1,450 of in-kind contributions to his campaign, leaving only $2,000 worth McFein-approved contributions for the Devin for Pope campaign....As they say, better to be safe then felonious.


*I think I'd go for grand theft auto felonywise, because there is this video game, and its really, really cool and anything that is cool in a video game I do in real life, hence the reason I'm both the starting QB for the Giants and a short, mustachioed Italian plumber with a taste for mushrooms.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will only throw what little weight I have behind Bubba Crosby to be the 4th outfielder for the Yanks (go Yanks!..I don't get to say that alot out here in the Midwest) only under one condition:

He becomes the figure head in a campaign I am setting up in honour of my dear, sweet, odd younger brother Rob S.- the eradication of all things Nap Retep (for those of you who know Rob, you know what I am talking about)

-C

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe that McCain-Feingold only applies to political office in the U.S. of A., and not necessarily to the Vatican. You should be OK. Unless we decide to invade Vatican City in the name of democracy or something (maybe WMD in the catacombs).

4:15 PM  
Blogger BertramWooster said...

Hey, you never know, we may have to, especially if the Pope dies and there is a power vacuum.

4:41 PM  
Blogger BertramWooster said...

c,
I dont think Bubba will really be too busy as the 4th outfielder, so he'll probably have time to be a figure head

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh..if the U.S. of A. invaded Vatican City it would be like an anti-crusade. Would there be an anti-Holy Grail? Would all Catholics have to convert to one of those other faiths that fall under the Protestant umbrella?

10:03 PM  
Blogger BertramWooster said...

I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure there's an Indiana Jones (or maybe anti-Indiana Jones [which would be what Illinois Smith?]) movie in this idea.

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home