Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Pope Facts - The Papal Ring

+ Each newly elected pope receives a signet ring called the Fisherman's Ring, which depicts St. Peter as a fisherman and has the reigning pope's name inscribed around the border. Everyone attending the ceremony is given a Co-ed Naked Catholicism T-shirt and a shot glass engraved with a picture of the new pope.

+Pope Innocent IX was once caught without his papal ring on at a bar flirting with Vishnu.

+Since the 13th century the papal ring has been used as a seal for private letters and since the 15th century for papal briefs. Prior to the 15th Century, the Pope wore boxers.

+Pope Martin V refused to wear a Papa Ring, he was later killed on a boar hunt.

+Pope Paul V, unsure if he was really read to get serious with the Church, wore his papal ring on a chain around his neck for his first 2 years as pope.

+Each Pope's ring is publicly broken after his death by being thrown into the fires of Mt Doom.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are the Papal Briefs big sellers at the Vatican gift shoppe? I would imagine so.

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thye're up there with the miter that you can have your name sticthed in the back like they do at Disney World with the mouse ears.

BTW- Can I get an amen for my BC Eagles in the Big East Tourney? C'mon, we're a good Catholic school

-C

12:24 PM  
Blogger BertramWooster said...

ah, Pope-secateer hats, I still have mine.

THe problem is, BC always beat my alma mater in the Bean Pot, but I guess we can give them an Amen for now (although, down 22 at the half, I'm not sure how much its gonna help).

12:56 PM  
Blogger BertramWooster said...

as Pope-secateer hats, I still have mine.

The problem is, that BC always beat my alma mater in the Bean Pot, but I guess we can give them an amen for now (and down 10 with 10 min to go, they may need it)

1:34 PM  
Blogger BertramWooster said...

ah Pope-secateer hats, I still have mine.

The problem is, that BC always beat my alma mater in the Bean Pot, but I guess we can give them an amen for now (and down 10 with 10 min to go, they may need it)

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home