Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Pope Alert - Holy Dolls

As many of you already know I am the proud owner of a Pope Innocent III action figure. Now a California company is taking the religious doll racket to a new level, planning to begin selling biblical themed dolls later this spring. The initial plan of the company is to release Mary, Moses and Jesus (cross not included) dolls, all of which can say various Bible verses and to extend the series in the future. On the surface, I have no problem with this idea, after all, who doesn't like playing escape from ancient Egypt or virgin birth...But I do have a few questions I would like to ask the company:

  • Will the Adam and Eve dolls be anatomically correct? Will they have belly buttons?
  • Will there be before-and-after-the-creation-of-Eve Adam dolls that have different numbers of ribs?
  • Will I have to buy a Paul doll, or can I but a Saul doll and convert him myself?
  • Will I be require to circumcise any of my dolls?
  • Will all main characters of the Bible be involved, even the non-human? Will angels be upgradable, or will I need to buy a whole new kit if I want to go from Cherubum to Seraphim
  • Will there be vehicles and accessories (I'd love to get my hands on one of those flaming chariots Elijah took...or a whale for that matter)?
  • Will the Samson doll come with extra hair, or am I going to have to buy a whole new doll everytime my kid plays Delilah?
  • Do I really want my kids playing sacrifice Isaac? Isn't that a little morbid?
  • Will the dolls have Kung Fu grip?
  • Will there be an enemies of the faith series as well? Playing GI Joe was alot more fun when you had Cobra guys too, but do we really want our kids playing exorcise Legion?
  • Then there are the problems these dolls could create for future visions of Jesus and Mary. Imagine if those kids at Fatima had had one of these Mary dolls. Then, instead of having prophesies about WWII and the end of the world, as well as a new pilgrim shrine, all we'd have is some Portuguese lady saying "Oh you talked to Mary today, how nice for you. Now run along and get cleaned up for dinner"...well that, but in Portuguese.
  • If my kid is begging me for a Lot's wife doll, can I just give him a saltshaker? or will the other kids make fun of him?
  • And finally, will there be cross-religion marketing like when Marvel and DC Comics had characters get together? Can I have Jesus and Buddha go out on missions together?

Like I said, I have no objections to this idea per se, I just want to make sure the company has thought this out....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home